It’s unbelievable to think I’ll be turning 20 in just a few days on April 6. This birthday feels very significant to me. I’ve loved being 19, having more freedom, and of course, studying abroad, and I think it can only get better from here. This year was great, but I know this next year of my life will be even better. To celebrate my birthday, I thought I would reflect on the 19 things I’ve learned during my life so far.
1. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. If you want it, then chase it.
2. Know that you are loved. Count the quality of your friends, not the quantity.
3. Life is short. Spend every day doing something you love. Don’t wait to start working on your dream.
4. Have more fun. In the end, your grades are only letters on a piece of paper.
5. Travel the world and let life surprise you. No regrets, right?
6. Spend time in nature: never let the city you live in consume you and make you angry and cynical.
7. Capture memories with a camera or a pen. You never know when you’ll need to look at them again.
8. Know your worth but don’t be foolish and egotistical.
9. Keep your life simple: get rid of junk you don’t need.
10. Don’t hold on to people who only drag you down. They aren’t worth your time.
11. It’s okay not to be OK. Things get better with time.
12. Create if you’re a creator. Find an outlet and just do it.
13. Care only about the opinions of those closest to you. All other opinions don’t matter.
14. Avoid dramatic gossipers. If they are talking behind someone else’s back, they’ll talk about you, too.
15. There are people you will click with and people you won’t. Don’t get caught up in it. You don’t have to like everyone and everyone doesn’t have to like you.
16. Drink more water, eat healthier, and exercise.
17. If you’re in a bad mood just put some makeup and a cute outfit on.
18. Count your blessings.
19. Indulge occasionally and always treat yourself well.
I hope this wisdom I’ve picked up from my past 19 years of life touched you in some way: now onto my next decade of life! Let me know which of my 19 things I’ve learned is most true in your life in the comment section below!